Our History pages are produced from various sources much of it relates
to St Michaels Church as churches and there dioceses were the only
Organisations to keep detailed records of local events.
There is a page on Uncle Tom Cobley who set out from Spreyton many
years ago on that fateful journey to Widecombe Fair.
Also we have many Photos of the Village and its People from years gone bye,
We have some Old Photo's of Spreyton School History School 1930's / History School 1938
and a Photo of Spreyton Home Guard Including everyone's Name. History Home Guard
St Michaels Church History Church & Churchyard
Spreyton Methodist History
UK & Ireland Genealogy (Spreyton) http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/genuki/DEV/Spreyton/index.html
The story of the Spreyton Ghost http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/spreyton_ghost.htm
The Cobley Family History http://www.btinternet.com/~mark.cobley/places/spreyton.html
Pictures of Farming in Spreyton in the 60s http://www.lott.co.uk/images/bwfarm.html
If anyone has any Information or Photos we can add to our pages
then Email email@example.com
in the hundred of Wonford and in the deanery of Dunsford, lies
about eight miles from Okehampton.
The manor belonged, in the reign of Henry II., to the Talbots,
in the reign of Henry VI., brought it to the family of Kelly.
This estate was sold by the descendant of the last-mentioned family to John
Cann, esq., of Fuidge, and Mr. William Battishull of Barton.
The manor is now the property of George Lambert, Esq. The lords of
Spreyton had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment.*
An inscription, purporting that the Talbot family contributed to the expense
Of the structure, proves that the building of the parish-church was as old
As the reign of Henry VI.
In this church are memorials of Thomas Hone, Esq., of Nympton 1746: and John
Cann, Gent , 1767. The church of Spreyton belonged to the abbot and
Convent of Tavistock. The impropriation and advowson were granted to the
Russell family with the other possessions of the abbey. The great tithes
Were sold by the late Duke of Bedford to the land-owners, and the
advowson to the rev. R. Holland, who is the present patron.
parish also is called in ancient ecclesiastical surveys.
Peter beavis esq. 1656: peter beavis esq., 1718; richard beavis esq., 1782